CITYLIGHTS

When I first stepped into this land
With a pile of books
and a suitcase in hand
I was taken aback on the chaos I saw
Infinite stretches of hour long traffic
Humans and cats co-existing.
I was housed in South Mumbai
was told it is "posh"
Trust me, that day, the view,
Redefined the word for me.
Posh? No, This cannot be.
I remember the wide lanes of my city
The empty roads and greenery.
How do people live here?
They look like machines..
Trying to save on every minute.
I see people running,
In a race, with no one competing;
I could feel the force
When I travelled in a local train
Half hanging out, half preparing to get down; and pushing against one another.
for once my heart cried," ae tai, got no brain?"
How can I even think of growing up here...?
But you know, this city grew up on me..
I don't know what it was..
the train? .... may be...
the buildings?..... could be..
the people? .... really??
But I had all of this in my hometown as well.
Then wha was it that made me love this city so well?

May be it was when I sat along marine drive
late in the night
short dress
sleeveless
and yet could only feel the waves approaching me,
no harm to my dignity
Or when in the lounge no one paid attention to the length of my shorts
or the depth of my neckline
no one to judge me, by counting my empty glasses of wine.
Or when I strolled along the street
to feel the life of the city at night
I heard no foot steps approaching me
my trails felt no fright.
I could move around the city
taste the delicacies it had to offer,
Everything from red velvet, freak shakes to whipped cream and waffle.
I could go on the terrace
and view the marine drive at nights
feel the life of the city and dance along with the charming citylights
It showed me that I could dream of anything I wanted to be,
and this city could take me to the depths of infinite possibility.

Comments

Popular Posts